Asthma is the number one chronic disease in childhood and is very common in adults. We offer these resources for your convenience. If you have asthma, you should be seen in our clinic at least once per year. If you are on a controller medicine, we recommend visits every 6 months to assure adequate management.
How to use different types of inhaler devices (Plays devices in order, repeats in Spanish at the end)
Know your triggers
- Use air conditioning and keep windows and doors closed during high pollen times.
- Exercise and stay indoors during times of low air quality.
- Avoid electronic and tobacco cigarette; and marijuana smoke.
- Avoid enclosed (homes and cars) spaces with someone smoking.
- If a family member smokes, it is recommended that they smoke outside, wear a jacket that stays outside and wash their hands after smoking.
- Avoid wood smoke from campfires or to homes heated with wood fires.
- Air fresheners and room sprays
- Cleaning products, use unscented when possible
- Perfumes, colognes, body lotion and hair spray
- Wear a clean sweater or scarf and pull up over mouth and nose and breathe through nose when going out in cold weather.
- Pre-treatment with bronchodilator (albuterol) before exercising.